Monday, June 13, 2011

Why You NEED Someone to Kick Your A**!

Hi, my name is Angela Park.  I am a NASM Certified Personal Trainer and USA Triathlon Level II Certified Coach.  I swam competitively for 12 years and have been competing in triathlons for well over a decade.   I love working out and am one of the most competitive peple you will ever meet.  I will run until I puke if it means I come out on top- and there is nothing better than the feeling after that kind of race.  I won a triathlon when my baby was 6 months old and broke 4 hrs in the marathon when she was 9 mths.  I am not lazy.  But when I get into the pool to do a workout by myself, I am a downright sloth.

When I swim by myself I can think of every excuse in the book; this is my second workout for the day, I am already a faster swimmer than most other triathletes, swimming doesn't count for that much of the race, etc.  It is ugly.  Most of my swim is me thinking of why I don't need to be swimming.   Totally lame.  So yesterday I head to the pool for one of my half-ass swims and am greeted by a friend of mine who is lifeguarding.  She offers to write me a workout and I accept.  And then she is there watching me for the entire workout.  The entire workout where I bust my butt to make the intervals and act like I always work that hard.  It sucked, but I felt awesome when I was done.

There is NO doubt that I would not have worked that hard if I did not have an onlooker.   If you find that most of your workouts are you just going through the motions and not really putting in a great effort, it may be time to enlist some help.  It can be a friend or a trainer, but make sure it is someone who pushes you, and doesn't enable your lazy ways.  If you are a triathlete, it means you are probably a pretty hard worker.  However, we all have our workouts where we know we could be doing better.  Those are the ones where you want to join a group or hire a coach to help you out.

We are all busy and working out is tough to fit in- why waste the time you are spending on your training?  Make it count and make every workout worthwhile!

-Coach A http://www.sparkmultisport.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment