Monday, May 2, 2011

The Swim Meet is Over- What's Next?

It was a fantastic weekend in Mesa, but now I am hanging up my goggles after a few months of pretty serious swimming.  I have been swimming four or five days a week training for this event and am looking forward to being a little more relaxed when it comes to my pool workouts.  The good news, however, is that I have triathlons to look forward to all summer.  I celebrated the meet with my teammates last night, took today off and will be hitting the pavement tomorrow.

Have you ever worked so hard for something to find it come and go so quickly that you are left wondering, "What's next?"  This can happen with holidays, vacations and definitely with endurance events.  You put weeks and months of training into a race and when it is over you are not quite sure what to do with yourself.  While time off from training is valuable for your mind as well as your body, having a secondary goal or off-season plan is imperative to maintaining a healthy lifestyle and your overall fitness. 

The next time you set a big goal for yourself, also plan what you are going to do once you have reached that goal.  Not only will that help you prevent "post-race depression" but it keeps you active, motivated and mentally fresh. 
What is your next goal?

No comments:

Post a Comment