Sunday, May 8, 2011

The First Ride of the Season

Okay, being a triathlon coach and all I am a little embarassed to admit this, but I was on my bike for this first time this weekend since the 2010 Chicago Triathlon.  To my credit, I had been gearing up for Masters Nationals and the weather has been crummy, but I could have at least been on my trainer.   Oh well, all the more reason to get my butt in gear and ride seriously over the coming weeks. 

While I did not miss my bike over the past several months, the second I was in the saddle and off riding, I was in love.  The wind in my face, the burn in my legs and the world whizzing past me quickly reminded my of why I put all those long hours of training in each season.  For me, riding a fast bike on desolate country road is a beautiful way to see nature, exercise my body, and get some very valuable alone time.  Today I had 90 minutes of blissful time to be alone with my thoughts.   When I was done with my ride I felt settled, focused and ready for my day.

What outlet do you use to challenge your body and rejuvenate your mind?  Whether it is playing a musical instrument or heading out for a round of golf, we all need something that relaxes and energizes us.  Identify YOUR outlet and make it a priority at least a few times a week- the people in your lives will surely thank you for it.  For me, swimming, biking and running all make me physically stronger, but more importantly, make me a better wife, coach and Mommy.   

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mommies out there- You rock!
-Coach A  http://www.sparkmultisport.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment