Sunday, November 25, 2012

10 Life Lessons from Thailand


Yes, this is a triathlon blog, but I am pretty sure I can use some of these lessons and apply it to my training and racing.  Maybe you can too!

1.  Hot weather brings out the worst in me.  Yeah, those of you who know me already knew that.  

2.  Having no control over a situation gives me serious anxiety.   Picture this, in a cab stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, miles from your hotel with no alternative route.  I was the only one freaking out.   

3.  If you prepare yourself for the worst, it probably won't be as bad as you think.  Case in point- bringing my two year old on a 16 hour plane ride turned out to be a piece of cake.  

4.  Kids are awesome.  Not once did my daughter complain about the heat, the traffic, the jetlag, anything.  She was either sleeping in her stroller or laughing.  I think I should try to behave more like that.  

5.  Thai massages are amazing.  As stated in last week's post.

6.  If you expose yourself long enough to something that really really freaks you out, it won't freak you out after a while.  Let's just say there was a large invasion of ants in one of the bedrooms I slept in.  By the third day I hardly noticed.

7.   American bathrooms truly are wonderful.  Just be thankful.

8.  The more you get out of your comfort zone, the more adventures there are to be had.  Almost every experience I had in Thailand was a new one.  It was pretty cool.

9.  Elephants are my new favorite animal.  Ok, probably can't apply this to triathlon training but they are friendly, intelligent and surprisingly coordinated. 

10.  Traveling is amazing, but doing it with friends and family makes it even better.  Thanks to my parents for all their help, Peter for being an awesome host and Gene for your hotel/airline points.  Being with all of you created memories to last a life time!!

-Coach A www.sparkmultisport.com

1 comment:

  1. What a transforming trip, right? Come back and let's see what you are really made of!

    ReplyDelete