Saturday, June 9, 2012

Elkhart Lake Tri Race Recap

The first race of the season is a wrap. As I sit on the balcony of our hotel and gaze upon the scene of the tri I can't help but think that this is by far the most logistically easy race in which I have ever competed. Up at 5:45, across the finish line before 9, back in the room with all my gear by 9:30 and in the pool playing with my daughter at 10. Does it get any better than that?

The race began with a short 400 meter swim in beautiful Elkhart lake. One of the shortest swims I have ever raced- took only 6 minutes. After running out of the lake up the first of many hills towards transition I headed out to the pretty technical bike course. Lots of hills and lots of turns- witnessed a couple crashes but managed to get through safely with a decent time.

Then for the run. Note to self- would you ever let one of your athletes head to a hilly race and not train hills beforehand? No. Then why did you think you could do it? Not sure. Did you pay for it? Yes. That run sucked.

The first 1.5 miles was almost completely uphill, whether steep or gently sloping. I was not prepared for either. A lot of heavy breathing, a few curse words, and 12 minutes later I was on the second, and much easier, half. I was able to pick up the pace a bit and and bring it in under an 8 minutes pace, but barely.

Luckily for me, I wasn't the only one who got her a** handed to her on the run. I eeked out a 3rd place overall female finish and am starting this season off on the right foot. And while no Sparklers are along with me at this race, I am here with many tri friends from over the years. Now time to sit back and enjoy the weekend with my fam and friends!

PS- Would definitely recommend this race to everyone - especially those who could enjoy a relaxing weekend in the country!


No comments:

Post a Comment